On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation, we invite you to participate in this free program which encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she starts kindergarten.
On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation, we invite you to reap the benefits of building early literacy! One Thousand Books Before Kindergarten is a nonprofit organization that partners with schools and libraries to meet one simple goal: encourage as many children as possible to read 1,000 books before entering kindergarten. While it may seem intimidating, reading 1,000 books doesn't take as long as you might think (one book a night has you meeting your goal in three years!) Reading ability is often used as an early indicator of academic success, so give you child the boost they need to start kindergarten with confidence! Sign up for this program and hit milestones, earn rewards, and track your reading!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- Read with your child. Studies have shown that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Reading together is fun and will create life‐long memories for the both of you.
- Keep track of the titles of the books that you read with your child. Make a record of what you are reading in a spiral notebook, on our convenient reading log sheets, online, or by whatever method you want. The journal itself will make a great keepsake item for your precious child.
- If you are able to, make sure to keep a record of “any” book that is being read to your child. This includes teachers and siblings.
- Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. The program is self‐paced and will depend on how often you read together.
- How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten). Make it even more fun and read as a family!